Thursday, March 17, 2011

Back in Business

O.K., well I guess my post-vacation depression has faded and I realize that I have no choice but to be back in business. (We got home from our flight from Costa Rica at 12:30 a.m and I was back in "mommy mode" at 6:00 a.m. to get Sam off to school. Boo-yah!)

These past couple of weeks have been filled with a lot of activities and fun. Last weekend, John and Sam had an incredible Cub Scout activity - they went to Charleston, SC and spent the night on the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier. Yep, they slept with 80 other individuals in the berth of a WWII aircraft carrier; yep, the bunk beds were stacked four high with about 2 feet of head space in between and yep, there was a very loud snoring dad who kept everyone awake...... But, besides that, John and Sam had an awesome time!




*Like a can of sardines!!!
*Sunrise on the Yorktown. They played reveille at 6:00 a.m.!

The girls (Lily and myself) journeyed West to AL and spent the weekend with my parents. On Friday, I had an extra, unplanned treat! A neighbor had told me about a museum that isn't far from my parents house and the great exhibits that they have. So, I journeyed over to the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art near the Auburn campus and spent some quiet time to myself!

They have a permanent exhibit with some of John James Audubon's engravings from the 1800's. (You know... the Audubon Society is named after him?) Beautiful!
There was exhibit with etchings by Edvard Munch. The artist that did this...
But the highlight of my day was the Howard Finster exhibit! (It ended the next day -- I was so lucky!) I love folk art and he played an incredible role in this genre. He became a preacher at 16, said God spoke to him to "paint sacred art" and painted his pieces with a message; either with scripture or his own personal religious beliefs. There were probably 125+ pieces of his work...all I can say is that I was in awe for over an hour!

Who doesn't love an old man with a banjo?!?!? (As long as it's not the movie "Deliverance", right!)



**If you click on the images, maybe you can read the text in the paintings.

The rest of the weekend was full of relaxing and family time! Such a blast!

Lily got lots of Nana and Poppy cuddles!
I did an impromptu photo shoot with Ms. Lil.

Mom and I had our own photo shoot out in the woods!


This week has been all about Sam and his accomplishments! On Tuesday, "Mr. Blondie" crossed-over from Cub Scouts to Webelos. He has worked hard at his achievements and really enjoys the time with the guys!

On Wednesday, Sam moved up in rank from "yellow belt" to "orange belt" in karate. Again, he loves his times with these friends (believe it or not, about 50/50 boys and girls) and his instructors are great mentors to the kids.
Tomorrow, Lily starts gymnastics and she is so excited! I feel bad, because so much of our schedule is just dragging her around to Sam's activities, so I'm very glad that this will be a special time allotted to her! Pics to come...

Back in the saddle again~
Laurie

No comments: