Monday, August 31, 2009

Dora, Dinosaurs and Possums -- Oh my!

Again, I've been a bad blogger! I just can't seem to get in a schedule. I have lists of things to do, but somehow I've done quite well at avoiding doing them! Does anyone else feel my pain?!?! Well, I'll do better...I promise!

These past few weeks have been fun, even with the back to school blues! But first of all, can I brag a bit?!? You know that video that I submitted to GMA for their "Your Three Words" segment? Well, we made it on! Yep, good ol' Hickory Ridge made it onto national T.V. They didn't let me know that we were going to be on, so I didn't realize it until neighbors started calling and sending emails! How funny is that?!?! Here's the final clip that aired. (I like my songs better, but I knew they would change it.) Watch the commercial first, then we're the last 30 secs of the segment.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerindex?id=8388744



We had a fun family day a couple of weekends ago. Over the summer, John, being the wonderful daddy that he is, bought tickets for he and Lily Clare to see 'Dora Live" at the Fox theatre. Seriously, do you know many dads who would voluntarily choose to sit and watch two hours worth of Dora? Since he and Lily were gonna have a date, I thought Sam and I needed one, too. Off we went to downtown ATL for a fun day.

Sam and I said goodbye to John and Lil at the Fox and we hopped a cab to the Fernbank Museum! Sam's first cab ride and he was ecstatic -- no car seat for him! Unfortunately, he was hoping that we would luck out and get the Cash Cab (he loves that show!), but to no avail. No flashing lights or music went off when we sat down. Our driver, Mohammed, (that is the truth, not a stereotypical example) asked all of the regular cabbie questions ... how long are you staying in Atlanta, where are you from, etc? I think it threw him off when we said we were from Alpharetta and just taking a cab for the fun of it! After I told Mohammad (we got to be on a first name basis) about our family day, he proceeded to tell Sam how lucky he is and how well his parents are taking care of him. Mohammad told Sam that when we get old, he needs to take very good care of us! I like that Mohammad, he's a smart man! So here are some pics from the cab ride and museum:



Our last little bit of excitement happened right here in our own back yard. One night, in getting ready to head up to bed, I heard a little rustling out on the deck. I took a peek out the window and low and behold, there was a nasty possum eating out of Bear's food bowl. Of course, I had to run and get my camera! So, I snuck a few pictures of the ratty creature until he (or she -- didn't get close enough and don't really know how to tell the difference) heard me. After a little zig-zag action, Mr. (or Mrs.) Possum ran down the stairs and what do you think he did...did he run out into the yard, did he climb over the fence? NO, he jumped in the pool!!! GROSS! And in case you are ever asked if a possum can swim, the answer is YES! That scutter swam around looking for a way to get out, but unfortunately never found his exit. He did get sucked into the skimmer and John was able to lift him out with a random stick/possum scooping device and toss him away! He was alive, by the way, so no possums were hurt during this process. Needless to say, double chlorine was added immediately and we hope to never have this happen again!Gross!
Even more gross!
How dare he (or she)?

So, there you have it. "Moore than you want to know", right?!?!

What's next~
Laurie

No comments: