Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A bird in the hand....

is worth two in the bush.

And that little hand is Lily Clare's!

Our next door neighbor called us the other day and wanted us to come over to see a little visitor that they were keeping for a friend. It seems that their friend had found this little sparrow on the ground one day after it had fallen from it's nest. So, she took in the little feathered guy (or girl -- don't really know how to tell the difference) and is trying to raise it to release him back into nature.

The kids were amazed at how little and how tame "Avis" was! By the way, Avis is Latin for bird...I learned that from my neighbor.


(And yes, we travel around the neighborhood in our bathing suits! HA! Give me a break...it's summer, it's HOT and we have a pool! But don't be too appalled, you can be assured that I had on MY cover-up!)

As I titled this post, I began to wonder exactly where this saying came from, so I "Googled" me some more knowledge. (And everything on the internet is true, right?!?!) It seems that this phrase originated at some point in the 13th century; meaning that it is better to accept or be content with what one has than to try to get more and risk losing everything.

Smart words!

Happy and content right where I am~
Laurie

P.S. Yes, that cute little Avis pooped on Lily's arm - twice...we disinfected immediately!

P.P.S. Speaking of birds, look what wanders around our neighborhood on a daily basis.

It was real close to the kids (they had no clue he was there until I told them) while they were playing in the front yard -- in their bathing suits! HA!

Then wandered over and ate out of our neighbors bird feeder!

Gobble! Gobble!

No comments: