Monday, November 15, 2010

Thankfulness

He who thanks but with the lips
Thanks but in part;

The full, the true Thanksgiving

Comes from the heart.

~J.A. Shedd


It's a simple thing to teach your children; it's something that we have to repeat to them and remind them to say on a regular basis; it's two small words...but they should be backed with gratitude when being said..."Thank You".

I wait for a few seconds to see if the kids will says these words at the proper times. Usually they do, but sometimes I'll have to prompt them with the "And what do you say?" question. These two words are commonly heard, but is there really feeling behind them? Is it coming from the heart?

I even catch myself just saying them, not feeling them. Today for example, I said it with feeling and it struck me. With Sam being sick, I asked one of my fellow preschool moms if she would mind driving Lily to school, so I wouldn't have to get Sam out in the rain. She said that she would be happy to and when she came to get her, she said that she would bring her home, too. "THANK YOU"! It's a little out of her way, but she insisted that it wouldn't be a burden. For good friends, I am thankful!

I made a Thanksgiving garland to decorate our foyer and had the kids write what they are thankful for. I wanted to make it more elaborate, but this was all I could muster up. I think it's cute and it's a reminder of what this season is about.






Sam's list included: Mom, Dad, Bear and God. (Poor Lily got left off -- I guess God - or Bear - took her place.)

Lily's list included: The beach, Disney, flowers and God.

So now, as I walk by my stairs, I'm going to remind myself to make my "thank you's" heartfelt and full of gratitude!

Thank You~
Laurie

P.S. As I sit at my desk, this is my view...



I am thankful for God's beauty, right outside my front door!

No comments: