Monday, May 23, 2011

Happy Smells, Happy Memories

Flowers... are a proud assertion that a ray of beauty outvalues all the utilities of the world. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


I'm one of those people that can hear a song, taste a food or smell a scent and I'm immediately taken back to a certain place or time. For example, play me some Beastie Boys and I'm taken back to 1987 driving my friend, Nicole and myself to school. I'm not sure if that cassette (Yes - cassette...at least I didn't say 8 track!) was stuck in my tape player, but I don't think any other music played in my car during that year. (Right, Nicole?!?!) Or, when I take a bite of a moist, homemade coconut cake, I am taken back to my grandmother's bright yellow kitchen, sitting around the table, listening to stories of the past!

So this morning when I walked out the front door, I was met with the smell that takes me to summer -- the beautiful scent of gardenias! (Yes, I ran back in and got my camera and proceeded to take pictures of these beautiful blooms while still in my jammies!) Ha!

This scent takes me back to Richardson, TX and the public pool. I don't know how many gardenia bushes were around that pool, but my memory says that this smell was abundant and marked the beginning of the fun, school-free season!

So, as I took Sam to the bus stop for his last Monday of 3rd grade, I breathed in this beautiful scent and began thinking of all of the fun days that lay ahead of us over the next few months!

Inhaling~
Laurie

No comments: