Saturday, March 23, 2013

Enjoying my Ordinary Days

I am the first to confess that our family is way tooo busy!  The kids are involved in so many activities; it seems that I am on a constant circular track that begins and ends in my driveway.  Between school, volunteering, after school activities, sports and scouts, we are slowly losing our quiet, lazy afternoons.  But the kids enjoy it and I really want them to try all of the things they are interested in. I figure, slowly we can drop the ones that they decide aren't for them.

In the meantime, I putter along through the daily routine of 6:00 a.m. alarm clocks, making lunches, the early morning trudge to the bus stop, my various errands throughout the day, while counting down to the afternoon bus and the collection of activities that will be coming up for the afternoon.  I do all of this through kind of a mindless fog.  I'm quite positive that I could drive to the grocery store, shop, pay, come home and unload my groceries all with my eyes closed!  (Did I mention that I would even manage to find the "managers specials" and double coupon items, too?!?!?) And believe me, at 6:00 a.m. I really am in a semi-sleep state making PB&J's and writing notes on napkins...

Then, I happen upon a video like this, and realize that my eyes need to open to all of those "ordinary" things. That they aren't going to be here forever.  I feel that we are good about "seizing the moment" and enjoying the slow times, but this makes me see that I need to appreciate that daily monotony.  Soon, I won't be making PB&J's... I won't be tying shoes..... sooner than I know...it will all be gone!  And that makes my heart HURT!!!

So sit back, get some tissues and watch:


Promising to enjoy the ordinary~
Laurie

No comments: