Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ahhh - the Excitement of Spontaneity!

Well, Sunday brought us a lot of unplanned, but extreme fun!

Aunt Janet was set to take the kids for a fun afternoon and John and I were going to do some chores around the house. Unfortunately, Aunt Janet got sick and had to put the fun afternoon on hiatus until a later date. So, we were left with two kids ready for an adventure and chores didn't fit into this category.

After looking into several options, we decided to pack up, drive downtown and watch a Braves game! What a fun time!!!!



We ate the traditional ball park fare of hot dogs and peanuts, oops - we forgot the Cracker Jacks. The kids enjoyed watching the game, and singing along with the organ, but the highlight came after the game. They got to run the bases on Turner Field! This is a program the stadium does after Sunday games and we braved the looooonnnnggggg line to give Sam and Lily their chance!

Sam and Lily at the Braves dugout:


It was such a neat experience and they even got t-shirts! (I just knew that Lily would get to 2nd base and take off into the outfield, but she stayed right on course!)

Here's Lily about to round first base:


Here's Sam heading towards second base:


While heading home through the many detours of downtown Atlanta, we ended up on a street taking us past The Old Spaghetti Factory! (FYI- this is the restaurant where John proposed to me about 18 years ago!) We didn't even know that it was still open! So we decided to eat there, because Sam really wanted to eat in "the big city". They sat us in the trolley car booth and the kids loved it! They said that the only thing that could have been better was if the trolley drove around while we ate! HA! I tried to get John to reenact he proposal, but he wanted nothing to do with that. Oh well, I tried!

Here we are in the trolley:


So with our bellies full of pasta, we walked back to the car and headed home to prepare for the week ahead! Wow, what a blast!

Still smiling~
Laurie

P.S. John successfully passed the "man-cold" on to me. I'm happy to report that I haven't dialed 911 and I'm continuing with my normal daily activities!

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Oh how fun! I love going to the braves games. Sam and Lily will never forget their day running the bases! What a great family day! ;)

I love the Spaghetti Factory ~ Darren and I used to go their all the time! Was it as good as you remembered it to be?

Jill Hill said...

I am just catching up on your blog..how FUN!! I love spontaneity as well!! What a sweet story about eating at the Spaghetti Factory where John proposed!! Awwww!!

Sounds like the perfect day!! How is school going?