Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Happiness!


Inspiration, for me, comes from so many things... music, t.v., eavesdropping on strangers conversations (just kidding - o.k., maybe not), etc. So, in mentioning how I was motivated for this post, I'll admit that I'm embarrassed and I'll have to justify it to make myself feel better. My inspiration...the Oprah Winfrey Show. Let me clarify, Michael J. Fox on the Oprah Winfrey Show. (I lost lots of respect for Ms. Winfrey after the election, but that's a whole other post.) My justification is to let everyone know that I do not sit and watch t.v. all day. Proof-

Today's schedule

5:15 a.m. - wake up and exercise for 1 hour and 15 minutes
7:00 a.m. - take Sam to bus stop
7:40 a.m. - Lily Clare awakens and wants to cuddle (warm fuzzies)
8:00 a.m. - Lily Clare requests pancakes for breakfast (how can you say no!?!?)
misc. dressing of Lily, dressing of me and start load of laundry
9:30 a.m. - gymnastics class
10:45 a.m. - misc errands
12:00 p.m. - lunch, swap loads of laundry
1:00 p.m. - hang three shelves in play room, pack away some unused decorating accessories, hang surf board decal in kids playroom
2:30 p.m. - pick up Sam from bus stop
3:00 p.m. - help Sam with homework
3:30 p.m. - finish decorating the playroom
4:30 p.m. - sit down and turn the channel off cartoons and onto adult t.v.

So here I am. Normally, I would be working on dinner, but we're grilling tonight and that takes a lot of prep work off of me. So on to "happiness"!

First, Michael J. Fox discussed his struggles having Parkinsons disease, then he turned his story to what gets him through the day. He said it's a choice whether to focus on his disease and all of the issues that go along with it or if he wants to focus on the good things that are in his life. He said a quote that I loved: "My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in inverse proportion to my expectations. Acceptance is the key to everything."

I believe everyone can use this quote in their lives. Because truthfully, if you can accept where you are and who you are, then you have time to focus on the happiness and blessings in your life. If you are not happy, then you are too distracted to see "the good".

I think I do a pretty good job of accepting where we are and who we are, but still, I am going to hold this quote close to my heart and strive to always remember to accept what is given to me. Then I'll focus on all of the blessings that surround me! And believe me...I have a ton!







Happy~
Laurie

1 comment:

Jill Hill said...

tears are stinging my eyes..i love that. do you mind if i refer my fellow blog peeps to your site to read that? i understand if you don't want me to..i just think it was so great.

inspired,

Jill