Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I can!

I know what you are thinking..."You can what?" And my response is "I can!" And you say, "Huh?" Let me explain.

I'm not much of a New Year's Resolutioner. I mean, I definitely can think of a lot of things that I could try harder at or do better in, but I'm just not one to make a specific resolve. I guess my tiny resolution for this year is to drink more water. You know, for better skin and for losing weight, etc. and I've done really good at it so far! So, if you need me, you'll find me in the bathroom most of the time; O.K.?

Anyway, I am a self-proclaimed blog stalker and run across a lot of recipes, craft ideas and decorating ideas that inspire me. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I came across a recipe for a Crock-Pot Apple Butter. It sounded so delicious and so easy, I said let's go for it! So, I bought 16 apples and some jars and was ready to start peeling. When I settled into reading the instructions, I found that after the apple butter leaves the crock-pot, it needs to be canned, as in "really canned" - like pioneer lady canned. Hmmmm, I say to myself...do I really want to get that involved? But I had 16 apples staring me in the face, so I decided to move forward.
Here is a simulation of me at the bus stop with my pioneer friends! NOT!

I had a Wal-Mart list to tackle and decided to pick up my canning supplies there. I searched and searched and searched and found nothing. I asked for their canning supply area and I got a cock-eyed, glazed stare. "We don't carry that kind of stuff." I retreated home and spent the afternoon sending emails, and calling stores searching for my coveted canning kit. Much to my surprise, no one carries it locally. Seriously?!?! I thought living in the South required some folks to can. But I was wrong. I finally turned to my "helpful-hardware man" at Ace and they ordered it for me and had it shipped to the store free-of-charge! They were also the only store that had a live person answer the phone AND that person understood what I was saying and knew exactly what I was talking about! Two days later I went and picked up my new hobby in a box! Let the following pictures tell the rest of my story....

My hobby in a box!

My first thought was ..."Oh my, will I be this happy when I'm canning?!?!"

Apples! Sugar and spice and everything nice -- yummm!

Mix the yummy-ness together!

Put it in the Crock-Pot -- nighty, night!

Ten hours later it goes from this, to this.... to this.... to this...And now I am ready to give some incredibly delicious treats to the teachers for Valentine's Day!

And you know what?!?!? I had a blast! I can't wait to make another batch for my friends and then tackle a new recipe! So, I guess I'll say that as a New Year's Resolution, I'll take on some new adventures in the kitchen! I really am a pioneer woman at heart! Hmmmmm, as I look over the horizon I wonder what my next canning adventure will be?
I think I can, I think I can~
Laurie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this! I will send you my recipes. Sounds like what I went through, but had to find each thing separately, not in a kit. If I had taken pics, the kitchen would have looked like that "buried alive" show, where hoarders are covered with stuff. But ... I will take pics of the finished products. I have some commentary on each recipe --