Friday, April 30, 2010

An Earth Day Birthday!

With all of the excitement surrounding Sam's birthday, it's kinda hard to keep focus on the importance of Earth Day, too. But, I do think we did a pretty good job! First of all, let me throw out some tidbits about the day...

* The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970.

* April 22 is the first official day of Spring in the Northern hemisphere and of Fall in the Southern hemisphere and was chosen to be Earth Day for this reason.

* Earth Day originated in the U.S. but is now celebrated in more than 175 countries every year.

* And most importantly, Earth Day shares the calendar with the birthday of the handsome, Sam Moore!

So what did we do to celebrate? Well, let's take a look...

I have limited planting space in my yard, but I do have the perfect spot for an herb garden! So, the kids and I planted some basil, bee balm, dill, peppers and oregano! Can't wait to watch it all grow!

I was a volunteer in Sam's class for the day. We built sculptures out of recyclable items then headed out to the playground to pick up litter. Here's a pic of Sam in action.

Miss Lily tried her hand at gardening and obviously has quite the green thumb! Her grass is growing like a weed. (Is that an oxymoron?)

And one thing that we do on a regular basis, and I'll brag that my children are an active part of, is recycling! I have this basket by the door and everything that is recyclable is placed in here to take out to the big container. And, for sure, they know what does or doesn't go in there!

So, all in all, Earth Day was a success! Even if we had to take a few breaks here and there to wish Sam a happy birthday!

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle~
Laurie

P.S. I have another experiment on the horizon...we just have to eat the chips first! (Keep watching, Deedee!)

No comments: